Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Crock-tober

mother%20cooking%20clipart

Hey Mamma,
I think cooking dinner is my least favorite "mommy job".  It is inevitable, that by 4:30 when its time to get dinner started, the baby is crying, the 3 year old needs help putting doll clothes on, the dog vomits, so it takes me about 20 minutes to chop an onion.  Thus, my love for crockpot dinners!  They involve little prep, are generally super yummy, the house smells so good, and the hubs is welcomed home to a much more peaceful environment.

I though I'd post a few of my favorite crockpot recipes (not created by me- I am no Martha Stewart) and would love if people comment with their favorite slow cooker recipes as well.  Let's make 4:30 better for us all :)

Pulled Pork Tacos (Kate Walsh)

  • 2.5 lbs boneless pork butt or shoulder (or 2 lbs chicken)
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 2 TBS chili powder
  • 2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 TBS dried oregano
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • Corn Tortillas
  • Fixin's for tacos (sour cream, cheese, guac)
In the slow cooker, combine salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and salt.  Add meat and turn to coat.  Cover and cook until meat is tender (4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low).  Shred the meat with 2 forks in cooking liquid.  

Chicken Cacciatore
  • 1.5 lb chicken breasts
  • 1 red pepper cut into strips
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1-2 jars pasta sauce
  • 1 pkg portobello mushrooms sliced
In the slow cooker, put chicken breasts on the bottom then layer with veggies.  Top with pasta sauce. Sprinkle with dried oregano.  Cover and coon on low 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Shred the chicken.  Serve over egg noodles and top with Parmesan cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment